Do you want one of the finest blu-ray releases known to humanity? Do you want it here? Do you want it now? Well you might be in luck, with a new Withnail and I limited edition four-disc dual format DVD and Blu Ray release coming out this autumn, packed full of bonus features.
Restored from the original camera negative under the supervision and approval of director of photography Peter Hannan, the release charts the adventures of two unemployed and financially troubled actors from Camden Town, who seek to escape their woes with a holiday in the lake district. The result is a hilariously tragic fiasco of booze, desperation and unsolicited homosexual advances, complete with the unmistakable obscenity-filled ravings of Richard E. Grant’s Withnail that have helped make the film a cult classic of the 1980s.
Fans can expect audio commentaries and interviews from directors, writers and critics, all four original Withnail Weekend documentaries (first screened on Channel 4 in 1999) documentaries and Bruce Robinson’s follow-up feature; How to Get Ahead in Advertising. The first 2000 copies sold will also come equipped with exclusive limited edition hardback book packaging that boasts new writings and key articles on the film, and rare production stills (over 200 pages!). Despite all this care and attention you’re still stuck with a mono soundtrack, which seems bizarre.
This Withnail and I limited edition box set is out on 20 October 2014.
- • UK Pre-order: WITHNAIL and I Limited Edition box set
- • GERMANY Pre-order: WITHNAIL and I Limited Edition box set
- • New 2K restoration of WITHNAIL and I from the original camera negative, supervised and approved by director of photography Peter Hannan
- • Bruce Robinson s follow-up feature, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, newly transferred from original film elements and approved by director of photography Peter Hannan
- • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD Presentation of both films
- • Original uncompressed mono 1.0 PCM audio for both films
- • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- • Audio commentary by writer-director Bruce Robinson
- • Audio commentary by critic and writer Kevin Jackson, author of the BFI Modern Classic on WITHNAIL and I
- • All four original Withnail Weekend documentaries, first screened on Channel 4 in 1999, including The Peculiar Memories of Bruce Robinson, which looks at the director s career, Withnail & Us, which focuses on the film s making, and two shorter documentaries, I Demand to Have Some Booze and Withnail on the Pier
- • Newly filmed interviews with key members of WITHNAIL and I s behind-the-scenes team (TBC)
- • Theatrical trailers for both films
- • Exclusive limited edition hardback book packaging (2,000 copies) containing new writing on the films, reprints of key articles on WITHNAIL and I, deleted scenes and more across 200 pages, illustrated with original production stills
- • More to be announced!